Monday, February 22, 2010

Are u Satisfied?

Are You Satisfied?

That is the question that I was faced with tonight as i heard a young couple speak about life, love, relationships, and fulfillment.
When I look back on my life a few years from now I don't want to see how I wasted so much time on pursuing trivial things, things that mattered so much then but now are insignificant .We live in a world, constantly being distracted by temporary satisfaction in whatever it is that makes us the most happy at the time. How many countless hours have I wasted on facebook, twitter and other social networks? Not to mention all the relationships I have pursued that ended in a crushing blow to my self esteem. I put all my hope in imperfect people, thinking they would make my life more satisfying, when really I was left disappointed. If only I could date him, have physical intimacy, work out harder, or changed something about myself then I would be more satisfied with my life. I could change my major or life direction. These are the type of things that keep us forever wanting, forever trying to attain . The next step, the next best thing. We all think this way. I mean, don't you? When does the longing ever end? Are we ever truly content with our lives? Epiphany! Tonight I was reminded how all these things that i persistently pursue have left me empty and in many cases hurt. That is such a hard reality.

Some college students were asked a couple questions, "What satisfies you, and do u think u can ever be ultimately satisfied? Here are some of their responses when asked what satisfies them. Food, chocolate, sex, my boyfriend, my friends, my job, exercising...those are the most satisfying things in life? Yes, I could not agree more that those are all great things, but how sad would it be if those pleasures were the best there is, all there is.

C.S. Lewis once said
if the things of this world leave you unsatisfied then there must be something greater.

It was so good to be reminded again of my purpose, our purpose. What am i really here for? No wonder why i feel unsatisfied with the things the world has to offer. I have not been focusing on the things that will last, the eternal things. There is nothing more fulfilling then pursuing Christ, and then everything else is just icing on the cake. That is what we were made for.

-Nellady

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this Danella. You have really witnessed to me today. Thanks

    ReplyDelete