Sunday, November 15, 2009

Stop and Swing

I finally decided to start a blog in hopes to share a piece of my life with you all. So here it goes...

My life is busy, always going from one thing to the next. This semester has been especially tough for a number of reasons, the pressure of trying to get into nursing school and taking a heavy course load, living off campus with unreliable transportation (1986 Cutless Cierra..yea), having a job, and squeezing in room for friends. Hanging out with friends and building relationships was put on hold for a while, especially at the beginning of the semester. Now, there is added pressure towards the end of the semester, the final countdown, final papers and soon EXAMS. As you know, it can be a stressful time. Busy, busy, busy. Lately my thought process has been, how much can I fit into a 24 hr day?

Well, today, something changed. I was waiting for my sister outside of Alexander and saw a swing. I was immediately drawn to it and felt the urge to swing. The second I started swinging, it felt like I was seeing everything around me for the first time.   I looked around and noticed that the fall leaves were gorgeous, a mixture of colors, crimson red and bright yellow. God's creation is amazing!! It is there for us to enjoy and I had been missing it. At that moment, a verse came to my mind. "Be Still and Know that I am God".  A huge burden was lifted off my chest as I took a deep breath, just paused, and starting praying. It was at that moment that I realized something important. I have been on autopilot and needed time for reflection. It made such a difference!

When life gets too busy, it goes by so fast that we often miss the little things. It is so easy to get caught up in business without taking time to reflect on what God is doing all around us. When was the last time you stopped to look around at the fall leaves, the trees, the squirrels,  the beauty in the little things, like nature and God's awesome creation?

Pause. Take a deep breath. Be still. Reflect.

As you finish out the semester, I encourage you to spend some time with God, time with friends, and time for yourself as well. If you stop for a second and look around, you never know what you will see. Ask God to let you see things through His eyes.

-Nel

3 comments:

  1. Danella,

    A great writer is one who inspires others. You did just that. Thank you for your reflective thoughtful words of wisdom during this busy time of year.

    Deepest Love,

    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow so inspiring and what a great writer!!!
    "Be still and know that I am God" Yes, Yes, Yes!

    Love you,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you guys! You are always so supportive. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete